The metered dose inhaler (MDI) consists of a pressurized canister of medicine in a plastic case with a mouthpiece. The Aerochamber consists of a plastic tube with a mouthpiece, a valve to control mist delivery and a soft sealed end to hold the MDI.
Before using an aerochamber you need to provide appropriate size for your face size. For older patient, it is recommended that a size that will cover mouth while patient is crying be used. Physicians encourage the use of Aerochamber with mouthpiece on patients over 4 years old that can be coached to use this Aerochamber. You need to follow the instruction steps that have been provided by your treating physician.
- How to assemble the Aerochamber:
- Remove the caps from the mouthpiece on the inhaler and on the Aerochamber.
- Put the inhaler mouthpiece into the wider rubber sealed end of the Aerochamber.
- Shake the inhaler and Aerochamber.
- Taking an Inhaled Treatment via an Aerochamber:
- Gently breathe out.
- Put the mouthpiece in your mouth between your teeth and close your lips around it.
- Press the inhaler once.
- Breathe in slowly and deeply over 3 – 5 seconds.
- Hold your breath for up to ten seconds.
- Resume normal breathing.
- Repeat steps 1 – 6 when more than one puff is prescribed.
Once you had done using the aerochamber wipe Aerochamber face mask with alcohol wipe and store in sealed plastic bag. Wash and dry hands and encourage family member to keep Aerochamber with mask clean and ready for use.
- Cleaning and Care for the Aerochamber®:
- Clean the Aerochamber® once a week or sooner if needed.
- Remove the back rubber piece for the Aerochamber®.
- Soak both parts for 15 minutes in lukewarm water with liquid detergent. Move gently in the water. The Aerochamber® is not dishwasher safe.
- Rinse in clean water.
- Shake off excess water. Do not rub dry.
- Air dry in a vertical position.
- Replace the back rubber piece when the unit is completely dry and ready for use.
Click on the link below to view a clip showing how to use an Aerochamber
Republished by Blog Post PromoterLeave a reply →